RSS Feed

Peer reviews

0

Monday, October 29, 2012 by


With no readings and the Peer Review assignment due next week, I’m sure most of us are pretty focused on the peer review process right now. Other than “oh man, I’m so glad I’m not dealing with that yet”, I’ve never really put much thought into it before. So I did what any good librarian would do and I looked in the library catalogue for something that might give me some more insight into the peer review process. What I found (which comes as much less of a surprise after discussing this a little in the lecture) is that this process is very tailored to particular subject, and even journal specific areas. So while I wasn’t able to find a book on ‘how to write a good peer review’, I think that acknowledging this will be helpful in itself.  I will most likely have to remind myself a few times that we are reviewing the research methods used, not the topic of the paper itself.

 Following my unsuccessful catalogue search, I looked online and found the following article posted on a site called PhD2Published that is aimed at novice peer reviewers: http://www.phd2published.com/2012/05/09/how-to-write-a-peer-review-for-an-academic-journal-six-steps-from-start-to-finish-by-tanya-golash-boza/
I thought I’d share this because it gives a few tips on how to actually go about the process of reviewing an article.

Although I’m feeling much better about all of this since the workshop in class today, it still feels like stepping into unfamiliar territory. A different way of reading articles. A different way of critiquing them. What does everyone else think?


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.